December 31st marks the end of a 3-year certification maintenance (CM) cycle for over 150 certified medical laser safety officers (CMLSOs), plus another 30 certified laser safety officers (CLSOs). To those CMLSOs and CLSOs, now is the time to record your activities for the past three years and submit your documentation and recertification fee!
To address concerns received from some of our CMLSOs regarding attainment of CM points, the BLS Review Board reviewed and revised the CM point category parameters to more realistically reflect the experience, duties and opportunities available to health care professionals. Revisions include:
- an increase of the maximum number of points allowed in the continuing education category, making it possible to obtain the required 10 CM points through job experience and continuing education
- the addition of credit for non peer-reviewed, published magazine or newsletter articles
- the addition of credit for reviewing journal articles
- the allowance of credit for earning other professional certifications
- clarification of category descriptions (including examples)
- and finally, the ability to retake the exam if no other option is available
Subsequently, the group completed a cursory review of the adequacy and appropriateness of the CLSOs’ CM point category parameters. The Review Board agreed that the CM point category parameters should remain consistent between the two groups and noted that some CLSOs are facing the same cost-cutting measures as the CMLSOs, e.g., reduced company support for organizational membership, travel restrictions, etc.
Updated CLSO and CMLSO Certification Manuals are posted on the BLS website (on the Certification Maintenance page), along with the certification maintenance worksheet. If you have any questions about the recertification process, please contact Hydee Cash at email@example.com or Barbara Sams at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 407.380.1553.
As the year comes to a close, we would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your support of the Board of Laser Safety and wish you health, happiness and prosperity in the year to come.